Preparing a Statutory Declaration

Once you have
chosen your name , the first thing to do is to prepare a statutory declaration of name change.

A solicitor/Commissioner for Oaths will charge you a fee (usually betwen £20 and £50 but is normally all but free if unemployed) for drafting your statutory declaration. However, you can type your own statutory declaration, and then pay a much smaller fee to have it
sworn (or "notarised") .

You can draw up a statutory declaration based on the sample below.This is what a statutory declaration should look like: Remember to insert your full old name and your new full name along with your address
NOT the names and address below.

Note: The format varies slighty, depending on whether you are changing your first names, your surname or both




       I, ANTHONY ROBERT PARKS of 24 Skinnerthorpe Road Fir Vale Sheffield
        South Yorkshire do solemnly and sincerely declare that___________________
1.     I absolutely
and entirely renounce relinquish and abandon the use of my said
        former name of
and assume adopt and
        determine to take and use from the date hereof the name of

ANGELA ROBERTA FIELDS                                                                  
2.     I shall at all times hereafter in all records deeds documents and other writings
        and in all actions and proceedings as well as in all dealings and transactions and
        on all occassions use and subscribe the said name of

ANGELA ROBERTA FIELDS in substitute for my former name of             
ANTHONY ROBERT PARKS so relinquished as aforesaid to the intent that I
        may hereafter be called known or distinguished not by the former name of

3 .      I authorise
and require all persons at all times to designate describe and
        address me by the adopted name of
and I make
        this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true and by
        virtue of the provisions of the Statutory Declaration Act 183

at Wallasey in
        the County of Merseyside this 16th day of July 2006

        Before me (Solicitor will sign and stamp here)

        Solicitor/Commissioner for Oaths


                                                         Copyright © TransWirral 



                                                LETTER OF MEDICAL EVIDENCE
Ideally you should not need to prepare this yourself but if your doctor asks what is required, you can show the draft below. Your psychiatrist might already have pre printed forms available; if not, the final needs to be on the doctor’s headed paper or include their rubber-stamped surgery address. To avoid confusion and unnecessary hurt and embarrassment the following draft is deliberately worded to omit any use of the words he, she, him, or her.


This confirms that my patient, formerly {*Mr/Mrs/Ms Old Name} is undergoing sex reassignment to {*female/male} and has changed names by Statutory Declaration to {*Mr/Mrs/Ms New Name}. Your assistance in making the relevant changes to your records and in preserving full confidentiality would be appreciated. 

Signed: _______________________________ (General Practitioner) 



* Use whichever title and gender is relevant, omitting the brackets themselves. The new title should obviously match the new gender but can be omitted altogether if that's what you wish. Omitting the title may encourage some gormless people to write to you as Mr (female name) or (Ms) male name.

A number of ordinary photocopies of this letter will need to be made to accompany each photocopy of the statutory declaration.




                                                                                                                            (Your address)
Ref: (appropriate reference number, account number, etc., if any)

Dear Sir or Madam,

I have the condition transsexual syndrome and am undergoing sex reassignment to {*female/male}. I have changed my name by statutory declaration to {*Mr/Mrs/Ms New Name} as part of this process. Your assistance in making the relevant changes to your records, and in preserving full confidentiality, would be appreciated. I enclose copies of my name deed, and confirmation of treatment.

Yours faithfully,

{New name} **

Formerly {Old name} **


* Whichever sex and title is relevant; omit the brackets themselves. You may omit the title if you wish.
** If your signature is illegible, you would need to print, as well as signing, both the old and new names.

Again, ordinary photocopies of this letter will be needed. It is polite to sign the copies individually after photocopying, rather than signing the original before photocopying it. Note: contrary to popular myth, it is NOT necessary to have any witness to the above letter, except in a minority of circumstances.


(These are just examples as, obviously, there will be variations depending on who you deal with.)

The following organisations do not usually require any official documentation before changing one's name on their files. Merely completing the name and address change in the appropriate place on the payment slip (if there is one) and / or sending your covering letter suffices. Obviously one does not need to inform them of anything unless one is their customer.

    Gas Board
    Electricity company
    British Telecom
    Water company (if billed by, or rates paid directly to, them)
    Garage (if you have a regular account or contract)
    Clubs and Societies
    Subscriptions (book clubs, catalogues, support group, etc.)


The following each need photocopies of the completed statutory declaration plus your covering letter.

    Insurance broker
    Credit card companies
    Library (if a member)
The following each require photocopies of: the completed statutory declaration, and your covering letter, plus the doctor's letter. Obviously those organisations or bodies which do not apply to oneself can be omitted.

    Car insurance company
    Building Society (if it is not a bank)
    DSS Newcastle (who usually issue a new NI card)
    DSS locally
    DVLA (if you drive. This is for licence and car document purposes)
    Electoral Registrar (usually at Town Hall) - must, by law, be informed.
    GP & GIC (see footnote below)
    Employer or paying authority
    House insurance company
    Hospital(s) (if a patient in the previous 10 years. Inform the Medical Records department)
    Family Health Services Authority (FHSA or equivalent. See your medical card)
    Inland Revenue (Tax office) - (not necessary if unemployed)
    Passport Office (who may request confirmation from doctor that treatment is irreversible
    Trade Union
    Academic qualifications (C&G, Uni, CNAA, RSA, or whatever board holds your qualifications.
    Will usually replace your certificates on submission of the old ones, for a fee)

The following each require photocopies of: the completed statutory declaration and your covering letter, plus the doctor's letter. They will almost certainly want written confirmation from your solicitor, and / or sight of the original (not a photocopy) of your completed name deed/affidavit. It is wise to enclose a stamped S.A.E. with a request for prompt return of the document if the original is sent.



Note: With regard to one's GP and / or GIC, obviously they do not need to see their own letter if they were the one's who provided the doctor's letter AND are personally attending to the change of name in your medical records. However, administrative tasks may be left to a receptionist or clerk and some of these can be officious. The doctor's letter will clarify the situation for them. It will also ensure continuity in the event of changing doctors, or being referred to another one, in the future. Don’t think the above list is all there will be. As an individual you will almost certainly have other people to add to the list and some to remove from it.


Provided your name change has been attended to legally, the following facts apply.

Once you have sworn the affidavit (stautory delaration), your former name(s) no longer apply to you for any purpose other than historically. Were you to continue to use your old name(s) except with reference to the period prior to the date of the affidavit, you could be guilty of fraud.

Nobody can lawfully refuse to acknowledge your change of name. Nobody can lawfully attempt to hinder the process, nor try to make any ‘conditions’ for you to agree to before amending their records (except that some bodies may require the additional confirmation as indicated in the above lists). Any authority trying to compromise you by saying, e.g., "We will change your records if you first agree to … ", is operating outside the law. In the event of such difficulties contact a Solicitor.
Alternatively, a wealth of useful legal advice can be found at

Community Web Kit provided free by BT